Check In: August 1, 2015
Ryan Murray here. I am designated hitter for Darin this week, so join me and several guys to kick off another summer weekend with Men’s Check In. This week, we will continue the discussion of the Fruits of the Spirit and faithfulness. What kind of fruit should you produce when you are connected to the Body of Christ? “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control” (Galatians 5:22-23a NIV).
There are many aspects in our life that benefits from our faithfulness. We benefit from faithfulness to our wife, our kids, our friends, our trust in God, and so on. As leaders of our families and communities, how do we know if we are aligned with how God wants us to be faithful? Rick Warren boils it down for us with 6 essential questions to ask ourselves about our faithfulness:
- Do you possess the right values? A faithful person knows what’s important in life and what isn’t important in life.
- Do you care for the interests of others? God says faithfulness is proven by our others-directedness and by giving our life away, by looking at others rather than concentrating on ourselves.
- Do you keep your promises? The Bible is saying that faithfulness is a matter of if you say it, you do it. You keep your promises. The number one cause of resentment is unfulfilled promises.
- Do you develop your God-given gifts? God has made an investment in your life and He expects a return on it. 1 Peter 4:10 says, “Each should use whatever spiritual gift he has received to serve others faithfully, administering God’s grace in its various forms.”
- Do you obey God’s commands? We can be skilled leaders, but disobedience disqualifies us from being seen as faithful as God defines it.
- Do you pass on what you learn? You’re to give what you learn to faithful men and those faithful men are to give it to others, and so on.
What questions were easy and which questions need some more consideration? Think about one of these questions this week that needs some work in your life. I think improving just one area of faithfulness will help provide a meaningful benefit in your life.
Note from Darin – We have several guys signed up for the Good and Beautiful Conference on September 11-12, but we still have a few spots available. Our reservation includes a Meet and Greet with the author, Dr. James Bryan Smith. If you are interested in attending this conference, and especially if you are attending the Meet and Greet, I need to know in the next week. E-mail me if you would like to be included. The cost is $15.
See you at Check In this Saturday morning at 7:30am (David’s Office),